When is this event?
Sunday, September 8, 2019
Where is the event?
- Lower Mainland: By the River Market at New Westminster Quay (810 Quayside Drive) – 11:00 am to 2:00 pm
- Victoria: Willows Beach – 12:00 pm to 2:00 pm
- Nanaimo: Bowen Park – 12:00 pm to 2:00 pm
- Online Silent Auction
Why Grandparents’ Day?
You have heard of Father’s Day and Mother’s Day. The 2nd Sunday in September is International Grandparents’ Day. PSS is marking this day to celebrate all grandparents, and shine a spotlight on grandparents who are raising their grandchildren, as well as other kinship caregivers.
In BC there are more than 13,000 children being raised full time by their grandparents (or other relatives). Their stories are varied, but many of the threads are the same: loss, isolation, grief, hardship, love, and determination.
Grandparents Raising Grandchildren (GRGs) face complicated bureaucracies – legal, financial, and governmental – that are difficult (and often expensive) to navigate. Poverty is a serious risk (they receive little to no financial support, and often spend what savings they might have on fighting for and supporting their grandkids). They lose friends, and seniors’ programming and housing rarely meet the needs of GRG families.
The grandchildren are their priority and these children need and deserve, love, stability and all the support possible to ensure they thrive. (Check out our acclaimed documentary, “Grandparents Raising Grandchildren: Telling Our Stories”)
What is the event?
On Grandparents Day – Sunday, September 8, 2019– Across BC, Parent Support Services Society of BC (PSS) will recognise these caregivers, and diverse families of all kinds in British Columbia.
We welcome all families to join us for our Annual Grandparents’ Day Festivities. There will be fun, lively, family events to celebrate all grandparents and kinship caregivers, and to raise awareness and funds that support the work we do with grandparent-led families and our parenting programs across BC.
- In New Westminster – At the New Westminster Quay – Music, Games, Kids Activities, Silent Auction.
Who is putting this event on?
PSS is a non-profit, volunteer-based society and registered charity founded in 1974. We are dedicated to protecting the safety and well-being of children and promoting healthy families through peer-based supports, education, advocacy, and research.
Our Parent and Grandparent Support Circle Programs provide free facilitated weekly educational support groups for parents, grandparents, and other kinship caregivers. In circles around the province, and in multiple languages, participants help other participants become successful parents.
“I don’t feel as alone. I’m not the only one [who] finds this job difficult, and wants to talk about it. This decreases my frustration caused by isolation.”
PSS also runs the Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Support Line (only one in Canada which provides support, advocacy and resource information to grandparents and other relatives raising a family member’s child. Find out more at our main website: www.parentsupportbc.ca
What can you do?
It is not too late to join us, and invite your friends, colleagues, and family members – to “take a grand step together” -we are accepting donations on this campaign till September
- Allow more families access to parenting support by giving us the funds to:
- expand the number of vital Parent and Grandparent Support Circles across the province
- provide free child-minding at Support Circles – so all can participate
- Give opportunities for kids raised by their grandparents to meet others kids in similar families.
- Enable us to increase the number of valuable Parenting Workshops we provide
- Support the development of resources (documentaries, resource guides, etc)
- Provide a break for grandparents raising grandkids
DONATE (Tax receipts will be issued)